Not long after my first shoot I started my photo books. I wanted to start getting and idea of what my book was going to start to look like. I wanted to be able to see where the holes were in the work. Which meant that I could plan my shoots a lot more effectively knowing what I needed to put in where.
In the end I had about 10 Or so dummy books (Not all in the image above). They had all types of edits in, I had big 50 page edits down to condensed 20 pages. I was trying to find the middle ground for what was going to work. This helped in terms of what photos I could eliminate. I wasn’t sure what photos would work, as an individual image they worked put together in a sequence some would not fit into a sequence.
Because of this it turned into a lot of trial and error. While a group of photos would work in another sequence I would try after another shoot the sequence would fall apart again. So the middle ground of shooting got quiet complicated as I wasn’t sure what to shoot for fear of messing up a sequence.
It was only really in the last two sequnces that it really came together. It felt like it took forever to get to. And I remember being repetdly told that out of nowhere my work would just click into place. And what felt like to last minute for my liking it did end up just falling into place. Which left me with very little and next to no time to then test paper types. But I luckily knew what paper I had in mind. And it did mean that in the end I have finished with a sequence I am happy with!!
I have had quiet a few ideas on how to exhibit my work, but I have changed the size of my work. I am now doing two A2’s instead of just one and an A3, now that I have ordered my prints I don’t know where to take my work. I have so many ideas and options on how to put my work up, but I think it will be a when it’s time to put the work up that will be when I make a final decision on how I wish to put the work up.
We have been given the chance to do a mini Instagram exhibition to promote the exhibition. One of the technicians has said for anyone who wants to, we can send him some of our images and statement about my work. I think it is a really good idea to get our work out there. And let people know the sort of work they will be seeing. And Instagram is a great way of doing it.
It also looks good for the photography course and page that shows the work us third years are making. It also looks good for the other years to see what they are going to do when it get’s to their third year. Another group it looks good for is potential students, that they have a page to look up and see what they can do if they came here.
One thing I have meant to do since September is the model release form. It has been on my to do list from the start. I know that at this point it isn’t legally binding, but it is part of the submission and does make good practice.
My next issues was Google is filled with thousands of model release forms, and no two forms seemed to be alike. Which did have me worried as I wasn’t sure what sort of form would suit my work… I did finally find one that was a basic stripped back one. One that didn’t over complicate it and covered my entire project.
We recently had to submit work to our shred google drive. This work was going to be a part of the our exhibition catalogue and the work would build that up. For this we just had to add a couple of our own photos from our series. And have a separate word document with both our title and mini artist statement about the work we have done.
It was quiet interesting to see everyone’s work on their, the titles and images we have all got down too. Seeing the wide diversity among all our projects. Between us all we cover so many themes and ideas. And I can’t wait to see what the final catalogue and work will all look like.
Sequencing has been a problem throughout, I originally just throwing my dummy books together. It was only after I did my final few sequences after I had finished shooting I really started thinking about it.
Because of the variety of images I had I thought it was better to have them in threes. I would start with a standard studio one followed by a location one, then finally I would finish with one of my high key idealistic portraits. Though I did use objects or double page portraits as breaks throughout the book. I started off with approximtly 64 photos that I thought counted an narrowing them down!! But I eventually after having to be cruel about my work cut them down to 30 Images in final that I was positive I wanted to use!
Recently I have got myself a new job with an upcoming company called Perform Group. I now work as a freelance transmission controller, that pretty much means I transmit live sports to the website the company works with called DAZN.
It means that I now have a graduate job with career prospects before I have even graduated, which I know I am very lucky to have. Because the company is relatively new means it is at the stage where it is growing fast. There are a lot of possibilities and new changes coming for my job, regardless of of freelancer of full timer. At the moment the company goes out to both Germany and Japan, and is branching out to more countries in the near and far future.
I have had to learn the transmission side of things and how to use all the new programmes that come with the job. But being almost fresh out of uni going into a new company has it’s advantages. It has meant that I am eager to learn and adapt to new ways of working. I also haven’t done anything like this before so they can train me to how they want. I do feel I have potential to go further in this job and in the future I would like too. And the job also gives me experience to be able to work in transmissions anywhere now. Which gives me flexibility when I think about the future.