All my dummy books

Not long after my first shoot I started my photo books.                                                                 I wanted to start getting and idea of what my book was going to start to look like. I wanted to be able to see where the holes were in the work. Which meant that I could plan my shoots a lot more effectively knowing what I needed to put in where.

18379520_10210916792010667_1337343412_oIn the end I had about 10 Or so dummy books (Not all in the image above). They had all types of edits in, I had big 50 page edits down to condensed 20 pages.                                     I was trying to find the middle ground for what was going to work. This helped in terms of what photos I could eliminate. I wasn’t sure what photos would work, as an individual image they worked put together in a sequence some would not fit into a sequence.

Because of this it turned into a lot of trial and error. While a group of photos would work in another sequence I would try after another shoot the sequence would fall apart again. So the middle ground of shooting got quiet complicated as I wasn’t sure what to shoot for fear of messing up a sequence.

It was only really in the last two sequnces that it really came together. It felt like it took forever to get to. And I remember being repetdly told that out of nowhere my work would just click into place.  And what felt like to last minute for my liking it did end up just falling into place. Which left me with very little and next to no time to then test paper types. But I luckily knew what paper I had in mind. And it did mean that in the end I have finished with a sequence I am happy with!!

Exhibition sketches

I have had quiet a few ideas on how to exhibit my work, but I have changed the size of my work. I am now doing two A2’s instead of just one and an A3, now that I have ordered my prints I don’t know where to take my work. I have so many ideas and options on how to put my work up, but I think it will be a when it’s time to put the work up that will be when I make a final decision on how I wish to put the work up.

Model release form.

One thing I have meant to do since September is the model release form. It has been on my to do list from the start. I know that at this point it isn’t legally binding, but it is part of the submission and does make good practice.

My next issues was Google is filled with thousands of model release forms, and no two forms seemed to be alike.  Which did have me worried as I wasn’t sure what sort of form would suit my work… I did finally find one that was a basic stripped back one. One that didn’t over complicate it and covered my entire project.18290101_10210876915773786_598983208_o

Work for the catalogue.

We recently had to submit work to our shred google drive. This work was going to be a part of the our exhibition catalogue and the work would build that up. For this we just had to add a couple of our own photos from our series. And have a separate word document with both our title and mini artist statement about the work we have done.

It was quiet interesting to see everyone’s work on their, the titles and images we have all got down too. Seeing the wide diversity among all our projects. Between us all we cover so many themes and ideas. And I can’t wait to see what the final catalogue and work will all look like.

Sequencing

Sequencing has been a problem throughout, I originally just throwing my dummy books together. It was only after I did my final few sequences after I had finished shooting I really started thinking about it.

Because of the variety of images I had I thought it was better to have them in threes. I would start with a standard studio one followed by a location one, then finally I would finish with one of my high key idealistic portraits. Though I did use objects or double page portraits as breaks throughout the book. I started off with approximtly 64 photos that I thought counted an narrowing them down!! But I eventually after having to be cruel about my work cut them down to 30 Images in final that I was positive I wanted to use!

Left over photos.

I have had such a hard time trying to narrow down my photos for the photo book. I haven’t wanted to waste any of my work. If I could have done my book would have had 300 photos not 30… I have ended up with so many beautiful photos of Jess and some pretty comic ones. But no one wants to look at a book that long of the same face unless they know the person the books about.

18175898_10210813682993006_1994358983_o

I am planning to do something with my left over photos I want Jess to be able to have something to look back on. As I never realised how big this project really was until I looked at all the images I still have left over and barely glanced at twice. But I see this really has been such a big project that has taken so much to develop into the final stage that I am now at.

Thinking about font…

For this one I struggled over something I thought was trivial. As daft as it now sounds I didn’t think that the font i picked would make any difference. But really I guess it could make or break a project, picking a font that looks so dull compared to such an intricate personal project. This should have really been as personal a decision as the whole project has been..It had to be something that matches with Jess. I had a vague idea of what I wanted.

So I thought I would test both the title and quote I was using in each font. In the end I picked American Typewriter, It has always been one Jess liked from a previous book she has read. She has always liked the font and even wanted a separate quote tattooed in this font.

cunant6mbl93c2364z986b7d8565feAmerican Typewriter RegularT