All my dummy books

Not long after my first shoot I started my photo books.                                                                 I wanted to start getting and idea of what my book was going to start to look like. I wanted to be able to see where the holes were in the work. Which meant that I could plan my shoots a lot more effectively knowing what I needed to put in where.

18379520_10210916792010667_1337343412_oIn the end I had about 10 Or so dummy books (Not all in the image above). They had all types of edits in, I had big 50 page edits down to condensed 20 pages.                                     I was trying to find the middle ground for what was going to work. This helped in terms of what photos I could eliminate. I wasn’t sure what photos would work, as an individual image they worked put together in a sequence some would not fit into a sequence.

Because of this it turned into a lot of trial and error. While a group of photos would work in another sequence I would try after another shoot the sequence would fall apart again. So the middle ground of shooting got quiet complicated as I wasn’t sure what to shoot for fear of messing up a sequence.

It was only really in the last two sequnces that it really came together. It felt like it took forever to get to. And I remember being repetdly told that out of nowhere my work would just click into place.  And what felt like to last minute for my liking it did end up just falling into place. Which left me with very little and next to no time to then test paper types. But I luckily knew what paper I had in mind. And it did mean that in the end I have finished with a sequence I am happy with!!

Advertisements

Last tutorial.

This week also saw my last one to one tutorial, after so much trial and error with my work I had a final sequence I was happy with. The start of the week saw my last shoot done and dusted, then a very long evening through to morning in the library.

I had got to a sequence I was happy with and added in that latest shoot, I also had tried to print the work relatively similar to the sizes I want to print in the final print.  We talked about adding in extra photos to pages that looked dull with only one image on or adding multiple images like a collage. At this point I was little skeptical to the idea of change this late in the day, but I do have time to add more photos in and see how I find them.

Another point that was brought to my attention was image size and quality. My origional thinking was that all the images had to be same size and placed in such order. Whereas the new idea now is three large prints ranging from A1-A3 stuck in some order but not uniformed. And lastly a small A5 print from first year that is almost hidden. In said image it was Jess’ first time in the studio and that is apparent by her terrified expression, which I think would fit both nicely and humorously.

But overall it was a nice official last tutorial, I left feeling happy about the work I had shown with only small things to consider which did make a even nicer change!! I will not miss the what feels like project re-write every single tutorial. :’)