Not long after my first shoot I started my photo books. I wanted to start getting and idea of what my book was going to start to look like. I wanted to be able to see where the holes were in the work. Which meant that I could plan my shoots a lot more effectively knowing what I needed to put in where.
In the end I had about 10 Or so dummy books (Not all in the image above). They had all types of edits in, I had big 50 page edits down to condensed 20 pages. I was trying to find the middle ground for what was going to work. This helped in terms of what photos I could eliminate. I wasn’t sure what photos would work, as an individual image they worked put together in a sequence some would not fit into a sequence.
Because of this it turned into a lot of trial and error. While a group of photos would work in another sequence I would try after another shoot the sequence would fall apart again. So the middle ground of shooting got quiet complicated as I wasn’t sure what to shoot for fear of messing up a sequence.
It was only really in the last two sequnces that it really came together. It felt like it took forever to get to. And I remember being repetdly told that out of nowhere my work would just click into place. And what felt like to last minute for my liking it did end up just falling into place. Which left me with very little and next to no time to then test paper types. But I luckily knew what paper I had in mind. And it did mean that in the end I have finished with a sequence I am happy with!!
Throughout the year I have been doing little bit’s to my linkedIn profile and linked my blog in so all my work goes onto it. I started off with just uni connections like classmates and now through my job have got work connections all over even in Japan.
LinkedIn has been good to see what is on offer job wise and to find connections in things that I am interested in. I have always struggled to write CV’s and LinkedIn has made as easy set up to follow. Because of how they lay it out writing a new CV was made so much easier, as I am not one for being able to write about myself comfortably or well. It even saves time it is so easy to be able to send the link through for your LinkedIn which really is a more interactive CV and way of looking at a person. And with how digital everything is it fits even better.
One thing I have meant to do since September is the model release form. It has been on my to do list from the start. I know that at this point it isn’t legally binding, but it is part of the submission and does make good practice.
My next issues was Google is filled with thousands of model release forms, and no two forms seemed to be alike. Which did have me worried as I wasn’t sure what sort of form would suit my work… I did finally find one that was a basic stripped back one. One that didn’t over complicate it and covered my entire project.
This has been one of the most tedious thing’s this year and I will be glad when it’s over!! I haven’t been to happy about feeling like I have to constantly hint, nagg and bug family and friends to show how much they love me and give me money haha. I have managed to get a few donations together from family. And have bribed them with as well as the free print we do for certain donations. I have offered to do prints from my work as part of it. Knowing my family have been wanting some of my work.
I do understand the fund raising was essential I have just hated how last minute it has all felt.
Sequencing has been a problem throughout, I originally just throwing my dummy books together. It was only after I did my final few sequences after I had finished shooting I really started thinking about it.
Because of the variety of images I had I thought it was better to have them in threes. I would start with a standard studio one followed by a location one, then finally I would finish with one of my high key idealistic portraits. Though I did use objects or double page portraits as breaks throughout the book. I started off with approximtly 64 photos that I thought counted an narrowing them down!! But I eventually after having to be cruel about my work cut them down to 30 Images in final that I was positive I wanted to use!
I have had such a hard time trying to narrow down my photos for the photo book. I haven’t wanted to waste any of my work. If I could have done my book would have had 300 photos not 30… I have ended up with so many beautiful photos of Jess and some pretty comic ones. But no one wants to look at a book that long of the same face unless they know the person the books about.
I am planning to do something with my left over photos I want Jess to be able to have something to look back on. As I never realised how big this project really was until I looked at all the images I still have left over and barely glanced at twice. But I see this really has been such a big project that has taken so much to develop into the final stage that I am now at.
This was the first image of mine I chose to put on Instagram, I wanted to see how my work would be received. And I loved this image from the moment I took it. So I thought I have classmates who put their work on social media why can’t I! This piece to me wasn’t what you see on Instagram all the time so for that reason I thought I’d risk it. And I got a lot of likes not hundreds but enough to put confidence in to my work, I even got a good handful of additional followers which was nice. Felt my Instagram was getting a little more out there!
I think adding work my work to my Instagram did encourage me a bit more to go for it with my work. And that people want to see what I am doing or else why follow my page. It did give me confidence I desperately needed, I am the first one to admit I am often defeatist about my work and am the first one to pick faults. So doing this both got my work noticed and inspired me to be confident in the work I had created.